I need a more sensitive switch for my child to activate

I was at the GoBabyGo workshop in Charlotte, NC almost a week ago. My client got a larger Mickey Mouse car that could not use a big mack switch because the voltage on the car was too high. The alternative provided at the workshop that was compatible with the higher voltage is not a very sensitive switch. The child using it is weak. Does anyone know anymore sensitive options for the switch. The family is willing to purchase whatever will make this work for this child.

Have you considered stepping down the voltage on the car? I was given a car for my clinic that was way too fast and we stepped down the voltage to slow it down. So it is not too difficult to do.

You might consider adding a relay. Take a look at the drawing chaamy posted here: Issues with modifying Lightning McQueen Toy Car (bigger version)
The correct drawing is at the bottom.
If you find the mechanical switch is not sensitive enough, you can use a proximity switch instead. For that, you would also have to add the relay as well.
– Doug

1 Like

I agree with you, Doug. Soon before my involvement in Go Baby Go, my school (CCSU) started using relays because it helped prevent buttons from getting damaged. But you may have to be careful if the car is running on a higher voltage because we found that the relays we had used would melt in larger cars. Currently we are using industrial strength relays which have shown no problems and have saved us much time and stress.

We have had good luck with automotive accessory relays. The good thing is that they are easy to find in any car parts store.

Like other folks have already said, good habit to use a relay. You could also wire a 3.5mm switch jack into your setup … then use whatever AbleNet-type switch your kiddo can manipulate successfully :wink:

We have had luck with Able net micro switch set into the steering wheel.
If the fast start is a problem, try a sabertooth for a slow ramp up start.
Mary Beth

This all is mostly over my head. I am going to need a little more hand holding. Can you send me a link of a relay that you think would work?

Do you have a link for a sabertooth so I know what to buy?

Hi Amy,

This is the one our tech guy is using.

https://www.zagrosrobotics.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1070&gclid=CjwKCAjwmJbeBRBCEiwAAY4VVeiBNLWANa_eIF7nTMFthZ4fu7jX0alAfl-e-Z5U7BQ6Hk99wCrEBRoCWd0QAvD_BwE

Mary Beth

Thanks Mary Beth. Ummm that looks pretty intimidating. I am hoping maybe your tech guy could talk me thru where to put it on the car if I end up getting it? :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: --Amy

Doug,
Is the proximjty switch on able net as well? --Amy

Hi Amy,

Yes. https://www.ablenetinc.com/technology/switches?activation_type=26

– Doug

1 Like

Hi Amy,
I don’t know the exact brand we use, but I found a link to what look like the relays we have been using in the group I work with.

We often use female crimp-connectors to attach wires rather than an adapter, but either should work.

1 Like

Thank you.

I use 12v auto relays always just for this reason

Mary Beth’s “tech guy” here. The Sabertooth probably is overkill for what you need. I agree with the recommendation to install an automotive accessory relay and a light-touch switch from AbleNet. If you can tell me exactly what car you’re working with, I will try to write up some instructions for you. It’s really not that difficult. BTW, we ALWAYS use relays (or a Sabertooth, which is sort of a really fancy relay) to protect the switch from having to carry to full current. It’s just a safer way to go.

we have also found that many of the 12 V cars that come with remote controls have relays already built in, which has solved the problem for us. I would like to know about experiences with proximity switches as we are just starting to investigate this.