Kidzone to joystick

Sure. Here are three, I have more depending on what you need. These show where we pasted the Dysem (on the side) and Velcro (on the rear) of the Kidzone. The “opposite” side of the Velcro is of course on the corresponding point on the seat. The other two pictures show how we wired the switch in as I described above.

It has been my experience that while the joystick seems like it would work great. Little ones often do better starting with one switch. Joystick use will come later, sometimes much later

Hi Doug, We wired a switch the way you have done it, however it is going backwards when pushed. Do you have any suggestions? There is still a blue wire that is connected to the original handle junction… should we try these? Thanks so much

Suzanne In Norfolk, VA

Hi Suzanne,
Yes, we have seen this problem, too. The manufacturer does not always consistently use the same colors for the wires. So instead of connecting the orange and yellow wires to the relay board, connect the blue and green instead. In other words, from my original instructions, substitute green for yellow and blue for orange. See if that helps.
Best regards,
– Doug

Thanks we did get it to work, wonderful results with our friend who enjoyed herself!

1 Like

Glad to hear this project went well. Sharing our program’s experience with these -

Our program, TARC CS modified one of these chairs last year for a child. We 3D printed a removable bar that fits over the top of the built in control knobs (actually just the stump underneath the black/silver plastic), allowing the child to move the vehicle forward or backwards by pressing both knobs in the same direction at once.

If split in two parts, a single hand could easily be permitted to reach each control knob - similar in appearance to the handles on a zero-turn lawn mower, but with the one control bar extending to the side with the functional limb.

Seating was modified using elevator bolts, HDPE board, washers, and nylon locknuts to create a backrest. A harness was installed using the elevator bolt connections.

1 Like

do you have photos?

I believe we have a waiver signed which permits sharing of the vehicle in use, but I will have to confirm before I can share that. This was back in January of 22. I would change few things if I were to print it again. This approach was, while crude, effective and about as cheap as it gets. Maybe 2 dollars worth of PLA plastic was needed, less than an hour of work to get the design ironed out, 2 or 3 hours to print. We use a heavily modified Creality CR10-S5 3D printer with a “supervolcano” heat block.